Name Changes Attorney in Jersey City
Let D'Alessandro & Cieckiewicz, P.C. Guide You
People choose to change their names or their children’s names for a number of reasons. Whether you are getting married, divorced, or simply do not feel the name given to you by your parents suits you, D'Alessandro & Cieckiewicz, P.C. can help.
Call (201) 561-8441 to consult a lawyer about changing your name.
Reasons for Name Changes
Your name is used in an unlimited number of social, business, and legal situations. From friends and social media to filing taxes, insurance policies, and your driver’s license, everything is in your name. This makes changing your name more complex, but in some cases, it is necessary. You may want to change your name as a result of a marriage, divorce, and for any of a number of other reasons.
Name Change Process in New Jersey
If you are married, getting a divorce, want to change the name of your minor child, or you are an adult interested in changing your name, the requirements and procedures may vary slightly. A Jersey City name changes lawyer from our firm can help you complete the name change process.
In order to legally change your name in New Jersey, you must:
- Complete the Verified Complaint form with current legal name, new name, and criminal history
- File the forms with the court and get a hearing date assigned
- Publish the name change hearing date in the newspaper more than two weeks before the hearing
- Appear at the hearing for the name change
- Publish the final judgment in the paper within 20 days
- Send an Affidavit of Publication to the court
- Notify the state bureau of vital statistics and treasury department of the change
An attorney is not needed in every situation, but some cases benefit from the advice and guidance of a lawyer. An adult seeking to change the name he or she was given at birth may be able to find the forms online, file them with the court, and pay the required fee for filing the papers without the assistance of an attorney. If you have questions or your situation is more complicated, it is a good idea to speak with a Jersey City name change lawyer at our firm.
Learn more about changing your name. Contact us online or at (201) 561-8441.